Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Nursery Prep: Part One

I think the concept of nurseries is a little bit silly. After all, the baby doesn't really notice the little details we add to their room. They are in there when they are asleep or getting their diaper changed. Plus they are so much more fascinated by studying our features and learning about life than they really are checking out the paint job in the nursery. None-the-less, we do it. We set up their little spaces as a way to welcome them into the world and feel, as parents, that we've given them something purely out of love.

Now that I'm officially into my third trimester, I've been mulling over what to do with this room that will soon have a new life in it. But with hormones and holidays about to hit the fan, I've got some dilemmas:
1. We're renting. I don't want to add anything to the room that is later going to take a lot of effort to remove.
2. I don't want to over-do it. Like I said, I want to give her a space that welcoming and calming, not excessive and chaotic.
3. I'm running short on time and funds. We've got to do Christmas, we just bought a new (to us) vehicle and are slowly building a pile of baby things. Nursery decor, while fun and exciting, is not a major priority. Whatever I come up with has to be simple and inexpensive.
4. Shades or canopy? The windows have blinds, but they still let in quite a bit of light. I'd like to have a the option to darken the room a bit so she can nap peacefully during the day. But, again, things have to be removable. I really am not looking to drill holes and install curtain rods. My thought is to use a command hook to suspend a canopy above the crib. If I can find one I trust, that is.
5. Contrast. The room is white. The crib is white. The dresser will probably also be white. I need to find way to infuse color into the room without it getting busy.

I love bright colors. I really do. As I mature, I've seen my taste mature a bit. I used to love the look of yellow and hot pink together. Now I might be more into a cranberry and mustard. But really, it's just an age-appropriate version of the same colors.
I don't want to force my taste on my daughter. As silly as it sounds, I want her to discover colors and combinations that she loves all on her own. This, along with wanting the room to be soothing, has directed me toward muted colors schemes and patterns. I'll say that I'm pretty fond of this fabric ---->
Allen said it might be a bit hipster. I don't totally disagree, but I still haven't found anything I like better. (I've spent the day pinning fabric, which you can see here.)

I'm wanting to keep it very simple and do a crib skirt and rail cover with this and then buy solid colored or neutral patterned sheets. This leaves a lot of options with the rest of the room. I'll probably go ahead and make a changing pad cover as well.
I'm tossing around the idea of a mobile. That may be too much with a canopy, but we'll see how I'm feeling once I get going.

I guess all of this is to say, "I haven't done anything but buy a crib. I'm open to suggestions."
If you've been there, you know that no mind is busier than that of a pregnant mama, so thanks for sticking with me through my mental process.

Lindarella

What sort of decor did you do for your babies? Do you know any amazing renter's secrets?

No comments:

Post a Comment